Wednesday 25 May 2011

Maryland Deathfest and other updates

Ever been to an American metal festival? I haven't. But that's about to change. Tomorrow I embark on a heavy metal road trip, tagging along with three veterans to this year's Maryland Deathfest in Baltimore.

I'm particularly pumped to see Cathedral - probably for the last time, sadly. I saw them perform once in 1993 and it's about time for a follow-up. I missed Kylesa their last fewvisits to southern Ontario, so I'm looking forward to that because I've been digging their latest album. And though mid-era Corrosion of Conformity is my favourite version of that band, I won't turn my nose up at their vintage line-up, or at the Aura Noir set scheduled right before. And Marduk? Sure. Neurosis? Absolutely! Even more absolute: Voivod. Can't wait! I'm also geared up for Hooded Menace, Inquisition, Skinless, Ghost, Nuclear Assault and more, plus hoping for some delightful sonic surprises.

Check out Hellbound's MDF previews for a run down of a few of the bands:
Last week's Hellbound Summer Metal Meltdown was our MDF preview show on McMaster's CFMU. I'm not sure when I'm back on air again but I'll try to remember to post a reminder.

I've been caught up in legitimate (ack!) work and academic conferencing (Popular Culture Association of Canada inaugural conference) so my review writing has fallen a little behind. Stay tuned for my thought's on My Dying Bride's new symphonic epic Evinta. But in the meantime, a belated link to my review of Samael's Lux Mundi. And I may tweet from the fest if my digital tether remains intact.


No comments: