Tuesday 3 January 2012

back to the more recent past (not-quite-best metal 2011)

Okay, I've waxed nostalgic with my favourite metal releases of 2001.

And over at Hellbound.ca you can peruse the individual top 10s of all us Hellbound writers.

But 2011 was a pretty good year for heavy music, so here is a list of stuff I enjoyed listening to but didn't make the 'best of' cut for whatever reason (lack of utter awesomeness and sketchy or multiple release dates included):

40 Watt Sun – The Inside Room (Cyclone Empire)
A Forest of Stars – Opportunistic Thieves of Spring (Prophecy)
Anaal Nathrakh – Passion (Candlelight)
Atlas Moth – An Ache For the Distance (Profound Lore)
Belphegor – Blood Magick Necromance (Nuclear Blast)
Bruce Lamont – Feral Songs For The Epic Decline (At a Loss) [see what the computer world has done to my alphabetization!]
Death Wolf – Death Wolf (Regain/Blooddawn)
Decaying – Devastate (Hellthrasher)
Entrails – The Tomb Awaits (Dark Descent / FDA Rekotz)
Fen & De Arma – Toward the Shores of the End (Nordvis Produktion)
Gates of Slumber – The Wretch (Rise Above)
Ghost – Opus Eponymous (Rise Above)
Glorior Belli – The Great Southern Darkness (Metal Blade)
Hammers of Misfortune – 17th Street (Metal Blade)
House of Capricorn – In the Devil's Days
Iced Earth – Dystopia (Century Media)
Lake of Tears – Illwill (AFM)
Mastodon – The Hunter (Reprise)
Megadeth – TH1RT3EN (Roadrunner)
Midnight Odyssey – Funerals From the Astral Sphere (I Voidhanger)
Mournful Congregation – The Book Of Kings (20 Buck Spin) and The Unspoken Hymns (20 Buck Spin)
My Dying Bride – Evinta (Peaceville) and The Barghest O' Whitby (Peaceville)
Novembers Doom – Aphotic (The End)
Pentagram – Last Rites (Metal Blade)
Riverside – Memories in my Head EP (Laser's Edge)
Septicflesh – The Great Mass (Season of Mist)
Subrosa – No Help for the Mighty Ones (Profound Lore)
USX – The Valley Path (Neurot Recordings)
Vallenfyre – A Fragile King (Century Media)
Woebegone Obscured – Deathstination (I Voidhanger)
Wolves In the Throne Room – Celestial Lineage (Southern Lord)
Yob – Atma (Profound Lore)
(and whatever else I may have forgotten was good)

* my Canadian list is another (upcoming) story

1 comment:

laura said...

If you assume from this list that I just like everything, you would be wrong. I heard many albums this year that failed to make a good – or, in some cases, any – impression. And the list of albums I deliberately or accidentally missed hearing is much much longer.