Saturday 31 December 2011

best metal 2001

If you're curious about my thoughts on recorded metal in 2011, you'll find some of my year-end commentary at Exclaim and Hellbound. (more on Canadian metal picks to come at hellbound.ca, and I may post my full year-end list here if it doesn't show up anywhere else - stay tuned)

But in good old Kill Eat Exploit the Weak tradition, the approach of the new year is not just a time for reflecting on the year gone by. As I get increasingly more old and nostalgic, this annual event provokes me to step deeper into the past, reminiscing about what I was enjoying ten years before.

It's been a few years since I've been able to play you my favourite songs on campus radio on New Year's Eve. However, I can list some of the best metal albums that came out in 2001. Without further ado (and in no particular order) here they are (according to me, of course). I grant, good things are missing from this list, but my tastes are ever peculiar and arbitrary, then and now. Plus I could have forgotten something (my memory is reliably unreliable).

  • Opeth – Blackwater Park (Koch)
  • My Dying Bride – The Dreadful Hours (Peaceville)
  • Katatonia – Last Fair Deal Gone Down (Peaceville)
  • Virgin Black - Sombre Romantic (The End Records)
  • Killswitch Engage – Alive Or Just Breathing (Roadrunner)
  • System Of A Down – Toxicity (American)
  • Cathedral – Endtyme (Earache)
  • Arch Enemy - Wages of Sin (Century Media)
  • Iced Earth - Horror Show (Century Media)
  • Savatage - Poets and Madmen (SPV/Steamhammer/Nuclear Blast)
  • Annihilator - Carnival Diablos (SPV/Steamhammer)
  • Soilwork - A Predator's Portrait (Nuclear Blast)
  • Dragonlord - Rapture (Spitfire)
  • Moonspell - Darkness and Hope (Century Media)
  • Dimmu Borgir - Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia (Nuclear Blast)
  • Cradle of Filth - Bitter Suites to Succubi (Spitfire)
  • Lacuna Coil - Unleashed Memories (Century Media)

1 comment:

Matt Hinch said...

I listened to Toxicity every day without fail for at least 6 months. I drove my boss nuts. (I was a receiver at HMV and I'd play it in the back)