Tuesday 1 July 2008

cats and keytars

Thanks to Adrian at The End Records I had my second chance to see Mindless Self Indulgence live Saturday night. I've been finding their new album even more ridiculously entertaining than their earlier material, and what they do translates extremely well to the stage. Actually, it might be better suited to the stage... They opened up with the classic lines "I like my coffee black just like my metal!" and the sense & sanity deteriorated wonderfully from there. I'd hoped they'd play their Rush cover, but no such luck. Ah well. All else was gut.

The show also gave me the chance to finally see The Birthday Massacre. Much more rock'n'roll than I expected, lots of bouncing on stage and even a keytar. The electronics were a little low in the mix but other than that they were excellent.

I hadn't heard that Julien-K were on the bill. They seemed very old school, like a cross between New Order and Billy Idol but with something newer, heavier, and maybe German thrown in. Entertaining though, and tight. I wasn't that surprised to find out the band included a couple of ex-Orgy dudes. In fact, I think I had known that and just forgot.

---

I worked my first volunteer shift at the Burlington Humane Society this morning - cleaning cat cages, feeding, watering, and giving the cats some attention. A couple of kittens thought my leg was a climbing tree. It's a nice shelter and they seem to have a good system in place for everything, so it went very smoothly. What a range of cat types and personalities! I'm scheduled again for next week. Those kittens pictured on the main page? - yeah, they're even cuter in person.

No comments: