Sunday 8 April 2007

what's the opposite of heart-warming and up-lifting?

I'm not proposing an answer. It's not even a rhetorical question, really. I find my vocabulary seems to shrink as time passes. But on to more important things than my mental atrophy...

As the owner of several Apple products, I was less than thrilled to read the company has such a tarnished environmental record. According to Greenpeace, Apple continues to use legal but toxic chemicals in its manufacturing process. Of course, according to Apple, everything's just hunky dory.

As usual, recent news headlines include several global warming related stories. Have we passed the saturation point? Where people have been bombarded with so many warnings that they're now just shutting it all out because it seems to big to be real, or to fix?

The mysterious deaths of a pair of primates in the Louisville Zoo are also in the news.

But enough with the doom and gloom (says the girl currently wallowing in Funeral's new album, From These Wounds). I'd like to use this post to point out a couple of neato features on the thoroughly unsubversive CANOE website - the David Suzuki column and the Discovery section.

I'm not sure why I've never mentioned David Suzuki's regular column before, but he hit a nerve tonight with his eulogy of sorts for scientist Dr. R.A. Myers, a man who could see the big picture. The idea that things are connected is sadly clichéd but worth specific reminders; we seem to have a rather hard time conceiving of consequences to our actions.

I bring up Discovery not because it's a consistent source of thought provoking commentary (it's not), but because some of the new stuff it highlights deserves more attention. Like the giant mechanical snake that could harness some of the energy potential of the ocean's waves. Is it a good idea? I don't have a clue. But it could be.

(excuse me while I return to my wallowing)

No comments: