Saturday 2 April 2011

a tribute to dogs


I'm a cat person, not a dog person. But over the years I have encountered a few dogs who get past my defenses and nuzzle their way into my heart. Recently, I've found myself more susceptible than ever.

Today's post is a tribute to one dog in particular, an aptly named black and white darling (Flash) who recently lost his life.

Dogs, like many other animals, communicate without needing to resort to human speech. And we are capable of apprehending some of that message, partially through interpretation and translation, but affectively as well, without needing to frame that apprehension in recognizable words.

This potential for communication, its visual dimension at least, is captured in a poignant series of photos of dogs in cars, by Martin Usborne (thanks to Boing Boing for the link).

Dog-human, especially dog-woman, intimacy is the subject of a deeply-moving intellectual study by Alice Kuzniar – Melancholia's Dog: Reflections on our Animal Kinship. I recommend it.

No comments: