Friday 13 February 2009

Judas Priest may really be the Painkiller

The CBC recently reported that people have a higher tolerance for pain when listening to their favourite music. Comes as no surprise to me. I've been using music as a pain killer for years, Judas Priest included. In fact, every time I've been inked I've gone equipped with ear phones and a portable music device loaded with some of my favourites. Singing is also effective relief for a variety of ailments (for me at least) - hiccups, for example. I wonder if pain management is part of Wilfrid Laurier University's Music Therapy program...

2 comments:

Organic Mechanic said...

Hi Laura:

I have read a few of the articles Laura Mitchell has published about her experiments in Glasgow. She is part of SPAN: the Scottish Pop Academic Network.

The most interesting part of the experimental psychological method, she points out, is that participants know they can pull their hand out of the water at any time. I wonder how emotions and endurance change when you do not know how long you will have to endure the pain or if it will ever end, as in real life sometimes...

Mary Fogarty

laura said...

"I wonder how emotions and endurance change when you do not know how long you will have to endure the pain or if it will ever end, as in real life sometimes..."

That's a really good point. I'd think almost anything is more bearable if you know you have the power to end it whenever you want.